It's time for the Lake Travis/Converse Judson rematch, which will be played on Saturday December 8th at 2pm. Both teams are fired up for the UIL 6A Division I regional final at San Antonio's Alamodome because they feel like they missed out on something in 2017. For 11-1 Lake Travis, it was last year's state championship. The Cavaliers fell two points short of last year's state title, and a win here would move them closer to their seventh. For 12-0 Judson, it's revenge. The Rockets lost a 47-39 battle against Lake Travis in the area round of the 2017 playoffs. Check out five things Lake Travis has to do to keep its winning advantage against Converse Judson.
1. Keep the hot streak alive: There were a couple weeks in the middle of the season, especially the 44-14 Week 7 loss against Westlake and the 44-28 Week 10 win against Hays, where the Cavaliers didn't look like their normal dominant selves. Part of that was Ohio State-bound receiver Garrett Wilson missed part of the season with an injury. But, the team's been on a roll since he returned. It's resulted in a 157-63 point differential in the postseason so far, and Texas-bound quarterback Hudson Card had the go-to target again to record seven first half touchdowns in the regional semifinals win against Weslaco.
2. Have the confidence coming in: Lake Travis knows how to win this time of year. The Cavaliers are 9-0 in the regional final since 2007, with wins in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
3. Put pressure on Judson's explosive offense: Lake Travis has the necessary defensive playmakers to slow down Judson's offensive big three: quarterback Mike Chandler, running back Sincere McCormick, and receiver Amarea Bailey. Nick Villarreal has 108 tackles in 2018, and Mauricio Trevino has 107.
4. Avoid road jitters: Lake Travis has found success away from Cavalier Stadium in 2018, so it'll need the trend to continue at San Antonio's Alamodome on Saturday. The Cavaliers are 6-1 in completed road or neutral site games this season, and also led Mansfield Summit 14-0 before the week two game was called due to bad weather. Their only slip-up was the aforementioned 30-point loss at Westlake's Chaparral Stadium.
5. Let Hudson Card lead you to victory: There's a reason why The University of Texas wants the Lake Travis quarterback. In 2018, the 2020 commit has thrown 45 touchdowns, compared to three interceptions, so he knows how to lead his teams to scores, as well as protect the football. That doesn't even include his nine touchdowns on the ground.