Get the Vype App Now

iOSAndroid

Huebner committed to leaving legacy at Fulshear in inaugural varsity season

Fulshear senior quarterback Keaton Huebner. (COURTESY PHOTO)

Fulshear High senior Keaton Huebner embraces quarterbacking a first-year varsity program.

“It has been a blessing,” Huebner said. “I love being able to create and leave a legacy for the future players.”

So far, Huebner is doing his best to make this inaugural varsity season one to remember for the Chargers.

Fulshear started the season 2-2, but has gone 0-2 in a rigorous District 13-4A, Division I, that features Needville, Sealy and El Campo. But promising pieces are in place in sophomore running back Tosin Ogunlana (312 yards, eight TDs), junior receiver Jonathan Davidson (278 yards, TD), and the dual-threat Huebner.

In six games, the physical 6-foot, 210-pounder has completed 62.7 percent of his passes for 513 yards and three touchdowns to two interceptions. He has rushed 98 times for 640 yards and six touchdowns, good for 6.5 yards per carry.

“To describe myself as a quarterback, I am a playmaker,” said Huebner, who began playing football in the fourth grade as a quarterback and defensive end. “I have the ability to make plays when nothing is there. My strength also is a huge advantage for my position.”

Huebner said playing a junior varsity schedule last year prior to beginning varsity play helped his growth as a signal-caller. He learned how to control the pace of the game, he said, and how to use his eyes to read defenses to his advantage.

“Learning these things has definitely made a huge impact on the way I played last year to this point in the year,” Huebner said.

Huebner has also made significant strides from the spring to now, improving his decision-making and getting comfortable playing freely.

He credits his high completion percentage to coaches and teammates. Huebner has an impressive pocket presence, staying in, refusing the temptation to scramble and go, and keeping his eyes downfield until the very last possible moment.

“It has been a lot of hard work,” Huebner said. “My offensive line, I have to thank them on the amount of time they have given me this season to sit back comfortably and throw the ball. Coach (Aaron) Cupp and Coach (Oschlor) Flemming have also done a good job by calling the game to my strengths, ultimately helping me and the team.”

Expectations remain high at Fulshear. Huebner is committed to helping start something positive before he hangs up his cleats as a Charger.

There is plenty of talent in the cupboard, and head coach Oschlor Flemming is a leader whom Huebner said helps players mature off the field just as much as on.

“Expectations will always be the same here, no matter what,” Huebner said. “We made that clear from the beginning. We wake up, work, and ball. For the remainder of the season, I have only one goal in mind: finding a way to make it to the dance and have a shot at a ring.”

boards
Fulshear High School - Football
Sport
Football
Fulshear High School - Football
You must be logged in to comment
Vype Media Logo