With just a few games left in the regular season, here are the most recent VYPE Girls Public and Private School Basketball Rankings.
1) Jersey Village (31-2) – With one game left in the regular season, the Falcons are riding a 12-game winning streak and can seal up a perfect district mark of 16-0 with a win against Cy Ridge on Tuesday. Kaylynne Truong has led the way with 19.3 points per game, while twin sister Kayleigh has 16.7 points per outing.
2) Manvel (32-3) – Manvel hasn’t lost a game in 2019 yet. The Mavericks are riding an 11-game winning streak dating back to December. Manvel is 14-1 in district and is tied for first place with Fort Bend Hightower, whom the Mavericks split the regular season series against.
3) Hightower (32-2) – Five-straight wins for Hightower as it heads into its regular season finale against Shadow Creek. The Sharks currently sit in 4th in the district standings, so this will be a nice final test for Hightower before the playoffs.
4) Cypress Creek (30-5) – Since its loss to Jersey Village, the Cougars have rattled off five-straight wins. The 30-win season is a second-straight for the program.
5) Atascocita (27-7) – With its win against Summer Creek last week, Atascocita wrapped up the District 22-6A Championship. This marks Atascocita’s second-straight district crown and the Lady Eagles have now won 33-straight district contests dating back to 2017. Kyleigh McGuire has been playing lights out of late as the Lady Eagles still have a few players coming back from injuries and illness.
6) Cy Ranch (28-7) – Eight-straight wins for the Mustangs, which has pretty much locked up the District 14-6A title. Riane Burton has paced the way for Cy Ranch with her 14.7 points and 10 rebounds per game.
7) Katy (25-3) – Katy is looking like the district’s best shot for a girls team to make a deep run in the 2019 playoffs. The Tigers have won 15-straight games and are 11-0 in District 19-6A play. Two of its three losses this year have come at the hands of Cy Ranch and Cy Creek.
8) Ridge Point (29-4) – Taylor Thomas is pacing Ridge Point to one of its best seasons in recent memory. Last week, Thomas surpassed the 2,000-point mark of her illustrious career. The Panthers have rattled off 14-straight wins and have locked up the District 20-6A title.
9) Alief Elsik (22-4)- The Elsik Rams have rumbled to a 20-plus-win season for the second-straight year. The Rams didn’t register 20 or more wins since 2011-2012 prior to last year. Paced by Sandra Chuks’ 13.2 points per game and Erinescia Ford’s 12.9 points and 7.6 rebounds per game, the Rams have locked up the District 23-6A crown. Its only loss in district play came to Pearland.
10) Foster (30-6) – This is the third time in the last four seasons that Foster has won 30 or more games in a campaign. These kinds of years are far from the 9-21 and 6-19 years it used to have. The Falcons are 12-3 in District 24-5A play and will finish third in what has become a powerhouse 5A district this season. Micayla Hamilton paces the charge with 14.8 points per game. Super sophomore Alicia Blanton is averaging a double double this year with 14.3 points and 11.1 rebounds per game.
Honorable Mention – Houston Madison: The Marlins have gone 13-0 in District with just five players on the roster! Just five! That is unbelievable. Yumon Simien leads the charge with 20.8 points per game. In District 23-5A play, the Marlins have outscored opponents 716-388, averaging 55 points per night.
Others Receiving Votes: Kingwood Park, Westside, Summer Creek, Yates, Humble, Cypress Springs
1) The Village School (34-4)
2) St. Agnes (28-9)
3) Kinkaid (21-4)
4) Rosehill Christian (21-9)
5) Second Baptist (20-5)
6) The Woodlands Legacy Prep (18-9)
7) Bay Area Christian (17-9)
8) Houston Christian (16-8)
9) Lutheran North (13-9)
10) Kingwood Covenant Prep (14-8)