Get the Vype App Now

iOSAndroid

Super Sophomore: Clear Springs' Shyia Richardson is following in her family's footsteps

(PHOTO: Jade Salinas - VYPE U)

Shyia Richardson is built for success.

After starting on the varsity volleyball team her freshman year, Richardson used the experience she gained to lead the team to their first ever undefeated district championship.

“Shyia always brings the best out of everyone on the team, even in practice,” junior teammate Raven O’Neil said.

Richardson plays virtually every position on the court, making her a valuable part of the team’s success. However, she mainly plays outside hitter which gets more swings than any other position.

“I take pride in playing outside hitter because it requires a short-term memory and a lot of mental toughness,” Richardson said.

Richardson always tries to be the most consistent player in every game and enjoys being someone her teammates can count on.

Growing up, Richardson played basketball, soccer, and many other sports. It wasn’t until her older sister, Tyler Richardson, taught her to play volleyball that she found her true love.

“Once I started playing volleyball, I fell in love with it and I never went back to any other sports,” Richardson said.

Once Richardson found her love for volleyball, she had a strong desire to work hard and get better every single day. She started to set goals for herself and gradually saw her level of play increase.

“I’ve realized that I want to play in college, so now it’s just a matter of how I’m going to get there,” Richardson said.

Richardson is one of Clear Springs' biggest weapons. (PHOTO: Jade Salinas - VYPE U)

Richardson also comes from a very successful family, as her father played basketball at the University of Texas and played professionally overseas. Richardson can recall moments of her childhood where her father would always be pushing them to reach their highest potential and make sure they were always heathy and active.

Living with her dad, mother, and little sister, Richardson believes they are her biggest fans and her number one supporters.

However, her family’s success doesn’t stop there. Richardson also has many cousins who have played professional basketball overseas and a few who have played in the NBA.

“Shyia comes into practice every day looking to get better and be a team leader,” coach Shannon McClellen said.

Richardson was taught at a young age to work for everything she has and not take things for granted, which she credits for her success.

As she constantly works on getting better every day, Richardson will look to take volleyball as far as she can and hopefully play in college.

Richardson also plans on getting a degree in the medical field to continue her success even after volleyball as she is a straight-A student.

Richardson not only dominates school play, but also plays club volleyball for AVA. She has been with AVA since she was 9 and has always played one year above her age group, which she attributes to her success.

“I’m so excited to see where my volleyball career goes,” Richardson said.

After leading the team to an undefeated district title, Richardson kept striving to improve her play and take her team as far as possible in pursuit of a state title. The Chargers, though, were knocked out of the 6A UIL playoffs in the third round by George Ranch.

However, with six of their top seven hitter returning, led by Richardson, Clear Springs will back and better next season. Richardson won't accept anything less.

Cade Draughon and Jade Salinas are students at Clear Springs HS and members of the VYPE U Ambassador Program. To learn more about how you can become a VYPE U Ambassador at your school...

CLICK HERE

boards
Clear Springs High School - Volleyball
Sport
Volleyball
Clear Springs High School - Volleyball
You must be logged in to comment
Vype Media Logo