Lacrosse
Swimming
Tennis
Track & Field
Wrestling

Get the Vype App Now

iOSAndroid

Dickinson TE Jalen Wydermyer commits to Texas A&M

Wydermyer at the VYPE Football Photo Shoot.

This article was originally written for our partner site for A&M recruiting analysis, TheOther98.com

Heading into his official visit to Texas A&M, there was little doubt that the Aggies had the opportunity to add Jalen Wydermyer’s commitment. By the end of it, the Dickinson tight end was ready to call it a recruitment.

“I feel relieved,” he said. “The recruiting process can be hard at times and it can take a toll on you. It’s a relief that I can be committed somewhere, shut it down and get it out of the way.”

Wydermyer brings the Aggies 2019 recruiting class back up to 24 commits and gives a group already spoiled for options in the passing game another major target.

Prior to his official, Wydermyer told TheOther98.com that should he catch the feeling that that he’d want to commit, he wouldn’t hesitate to say so. Even while teasing that he might be interested in taking one more official visit before signing his letter of intent later this month, he knew that the chances were good that his trip this weekend could be the clencher.

“Honestly I’d say they were high,” he said. “I knew that they were one of the schools that I had the most interest in and I was going to have a good time there. The A&M staff did a great job - they were one of the big reasons that I committed.”

His opinion of the staff was a bit of a question mark following the news last week that tight ends coach Tim Brewster was leaving to join Mack Brown at North Carolina. That put the onus on Aggies head coach Jimbo Fisher to wrap things up personally, and he did just that in his time with Wydermyer.

“I trust Coach Fisher,” he said. “I trust that he’s going to bring in a great tight ends coach no matter who it is. I just wait to get back out there, meet him, and get a relationship going with that guy. Coach Brewster left to go retire in North Carolina and that’s something you just can’t pass up and a great opportunity.

“Coach Fisher will do a great job with what he’s doing and who he’ll bring in.”

Fisher’s insight into his plans for Wydermyer’s future impact on the team clearly were crucial to his decision. From breaking down the X’s-and-O’s to hearing about what his potential could be beyond his football career at A&M, everything was just as Wydermyer hoped it would be.

Perhaps more importantly, he’s certain that regardless of who his position coach will be, so long as Fisher is his head coach, he has nothing to worry about.

“Coach Fisher was saying all the right things,” he said. “It was all true, but he was telling me how he can’t wait to get me here and start working more on the double set with me and Baylor Cupp. Academics-wise it’s one of the top schools in the country with the Aggie Network and how big that network is.

“The list goes on and on, but he convinced me,” he said. “I really trust Coach Fisher, not just as a coach but as a person.”

Nick Krueger is the lead recruiting analyst for theother98.com. For more stories and insight, follow him on Twitter, @TO98_Kroog

boards
Dickinson High School - Football
Sport
Football
Dickinson High School - Football
You must be logged in to comment
@
Vype Media Logo