Swimming
Tennis
Track & Field
Wrestling

Get the Vype App Now

iOSAndroid

Tobias Weaver: Best Wagner Football Season, Navy & Other Interests

Photo by Ed Garcia.

The first National Signing Day of 2019 is on Wednesday, so many of the nation's seniors will begin the next stage of their athletic career. Tobias Weaver, who led San Antonio Wagner to its best football season in 2018, will be one of them. He announced his commitment to the United States Naval Academy football program on January 30th, and is expected to make it official.

You probably remember Weaver's dynamic playmaking abilities, which resulted in a win on the VYPE San Antonio Football Player of the Year poll. He led the area pack with 39.26 percent of the total vote.

"To lead with 31,883 votes means a lot to me because it tells me how much love and support I have from the people I know, as well as the people I don’t know," said Weaver. "It’s a great feeling knowing you have a huge support system behind you."

Weaver racked up 2,674 total yards and 40 touchdowns in Wagner's run to the UIL 5A Division I state semifinals, where he and his teammates fell to eventual state finalist Shadow Creek 41-24.

"What I will remember most about this run is that I got to be the face of it all," said Weaver. "My teammates, coaches, and fans all bought into me to lead the team, and that's exactly what I did. I was a major part of bring[ing] our community closer than it’s ever been [and] also giving Wagner High the shine that it deserves."

Both Wagner and Weaver gained the confidence they needed in a tight week two loss against rival Converse Judson. The Thunderbirds competed in a 35-28 loss against the eventual UIL 6A Division I regional finalist, and the versatile athlete saw his potential.

"My favorite Texas high school football memory was against our rival, Judson High School," said Weaver. "Extending a play, making nine players miss [and] ending in a touchdown. Unfortunately, the play was called back, but that play will always be one of my most favorite Texas high school football memories."

Obviously, Weaver gets a lot of attention for his play on the gridiron. But, who's the man behind the football player? His go-to pregame meal is the Chick-fil-A Spicy Deluxe Sandwich, and his favorite classic car is the 1970 Dodge Charger R/T.

If you enjoyed the coverage, follow VYPE's Thomas Bingham (@Texan8thGen) and VYPE (@VypeSATX) on Twitter.

To follow your favorite teams, and for more scores, stories and everything Texas High School Sports, download the VYPE Media App on iTunes and Android today!

Looking to get more involved? Check out ShopVYPE for fresh gear that supports local schools and the VYPE U Ambassador Program. To sign up for the VYPE U Program, apply at VYPEU.com.

boards
Wagner High School - Football
Sport
Football
Wagner High School - Football
You must be logged in to comment
Vype Media Logo